We could all use something to lift our spirits right now. And music has the ability to lift our spirits like few other things. So I present to you: quarantine playlist songs that will have you dancing. And laughing. And hopefully forgetting your worries for just a little bit.
Below, you will find one of the most random playlists of all time. But every song on here was selected to give you a feeling of happiness.
I hope these songs inspire you to create a quarantine playlist of your own. Like me, you may find that just creating a playlist is a way to make you smile.
- 5 Super Fun Coronavirus Distractions You Need to Try Immediately
- 10 Items That Will Help You Stay Sane During Quarantine
- Best YouTube Workouts to Get in Shape While At Home
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers. This is the song that inspired me to put together this quarantine playlist. It makes me want to get up and dance (or at least enthusiastically shoulder dance on the sofa).
- Old Time Rock and Roll – Bob Seger. Bonus points if you recreate the Risky Business dancing scene to this song.
- Cotton Eyed Joe – Rednex. I’d be married a long time ago, if not for that sweet, sweet siren call of Cotton Eyed Joe.
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston. No playlist that involves dancing is complete without a Whitney Houston song.
- Hooked on a Feeling – Blue Swede. The Guardians of the Galaxy movie soundtrack reminded me of this awesome song. Some versions of this song don’t have the “oogachaka”, but what fun is that?
- You’re the One That I Want – Grease. This song was designed to get you on your feet.
- Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond. Have you been watching the balcony singalongs in Europe? Let’s do that with this song. It’s the equivalent of reaching out…touching me…touching you – at a social distance-approved length.
- Tubthumping (I Get Knocked Down) – Chumbawamba. I think I need to replace my alarm clock with this song in the morning. You are never gonna keep me down!
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight – The Tokens. I propose that you and your friends all sing along to this song on your next Facetime chat.
- Rhinestone Cowboy – Glen Campbell. Of course I was going to put this song in my top ten. When I think of songs that make me laugh, this always makes the list. Seriously, who doesn’t want to be a rhinestone cowboy?
- Gangnam Style – Psy. For an extra smile, watch the Nationals’ Presidents attempt to do the dance.
- Africa – Toto. This song deserves to be belted out as loud as you can.
- Kung Fu Fighting – Carl Douglas. Waaaay back in the day, my brothers got the soundtrack CD to the Power Rangers movie. A version of this song was on the CD. Thank you to the Power Rangers for introducing me to this gem.
- Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy – Big & Rich. If you haven’t memorized these lyrics yet, it’s time.
- You Make My Dreams Come True – Hall & Oates. Just try to listen to this song without bobbing your head. It isn’t possible.
- Thriller – Michael Jackson. There’s something about the dance moves for this song that get me on my feet every single time.
- Ring of Fire – Johnny Cash. My brother James played this song on repeat growing up. Never got old.
- Believe – Cher. Cher is over 70 and has still got it. It’s probably because she’s constantly dancing to great music.
- Shout – Isley Brothers. This was the last dance at my brother John and sister-in-law Megan’s wedding. One last great dance for the night.
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. I find it hilarious that radio stations thought this song was weird and didn’t want to play it when it first came out. Look at it now – #20 on the greatest quarantine playlist of all time!
- Dancing Queen – ABBA. I may not be 17 anymore, but I still declare myself a dancing queen!
- YMCA – Village People. The YMCA song is always appropriate.
- Love Train – The O’Jays. People all over the world, join hands (virtually)!
- Dancing in the Dark – Bruce Springsteen. I couldn’t complete this quarantine playlist without at least one Bruce Springsteen song.
- I’ve Had the Time of My Life – Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes (Dirty Dancing). Don’t try this dance at home (especially the lift). But you should definitely watch the dance. In fact, just watch the whole movie.
- You Got It (The Right Stuff) – New Kids on the Block. I wonder what Donnie is up to right now? Probably dancing to this song.
- Single Ladies – Beyonce. This song is even better when danced to by people of all ages, genders, and marital statuses. Let’s see those ring fingers, folks!
- What is Love – Haddaway. I just gave myself a neck spasm trying to recreate the dance from Night at the Roxbury. Don’t be like me.
- Cupid Shuffle – Cupid. I’m amazed at how much energy some people can put into this dance. Try it out yourself!
- La Bamba – Ritchie Valens. Just a feel-good song.
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison. Feel free to send me a video message to serenade me with this song.
- We Didn’t Start the Fire – Billy Joel. Now is the time to memorize this entire song. Or come up with new lyrics to amaze your friends via video chat.
I hope this quarantine playlist has helped to lift your spirits! Now, time for me to dance!